It’s funny how these models sometimes fight you all the way to completion. This was one of those models. I built one body only to find out how many mistakes I made and started over. I must have made 7 turrets before I found a design I was happy with. The paint is close but not exact. In real life, this model looks pretty good. Up close, it looks still a little rough. I am happy with the $3 investment for as many of these vehicles as I can build. I will be building two more for the 11th Hussars. No Caunter scheme. Just desert yellow.
Here are a couple of pictures of my first Rolls Royce Armored Car. the model is by Der Kampfflieger. The model came with the original turret. I had to design my own WW2 style turret. The ATR was scratch built. I used a Junior General ATR for the receiver and added a round Plastruct rod for the barrel. I used a thin strip of paper for the muzzle break. I will do the same for the Bren. I do have a few bren guns from Raventhorpe but compared to the ATR, the Bren gun barrels look massive.
I did have a tough time with the fender assembly. The way I thought they would be, the boards tapered out…which was wrong. They should be straight. I ended up cutting my first attempt away and did it again. The results were much better.
The last couple of days have not been idle. I painted up a few figures and am currently working on the motorcycles by Zvezda. Plastic Soldier company has a deal for 11 motorcycles for about $38. It works out to $3.50 per machine. Not bad. They will be filling out the motorcycle units for the DAK forces. Below are a couple of pics, not only of the first nearly completed cycle but also the detailed version of the sdkfz.10 card model I’ve been working on.
I am getting ready to design a CMP 15cwt truck. There was a 1/87 scale version of the truck by Best Paper Models. Their site was hacked a couple of years ago. They’ve since entered an agreement with Betexa, another company who sells paper models. Sadly, only 20 of their models have been uploaded so far and none of them are the CMP. I’ve been waiting patiently for about 6 months. The CMP does not look too difficult to design. So…
This is about the cleanest blueprint I’ve seen to date. I’m looking forward to this one.
These have been mostly finished and sitting on my paint table for a few weeks now. I did not want to bring out the paints until my figures arrived from EWM. Well, they did arrive yesterday and I spent some of the day today lining and touching up the models. I think the results look pretty good! All models by Paper Tiger Armaments. Note that the sdkfz.222 also comes with a truck. I have not built it…yet.
I suppose the extreme weathering with gray underneath is to show that they were hastily painted either before or after arriving in N. Africa. Maybe they should have primed first? 😉
I have not been posting but have been a little busy over the past week. The little General wanted me to build a Tiger Tank. I rescaled Rawan’s Tiger I from 1:100 scale. I think it came out well. The other thing I’ve been doing is working on a sdkfz.10 artillery tractor. Pictured on the right, it is the white template. No tracks or wheels yet. But those are pretty easy to do anyway. I do need to adjust the front fenders, widening them and fixing the length.
Tiger Gun barrel is the length of a toothpick minus the tapered ends. 7/8″ of paper was wrapped twice followed by 7/16″ width of paper wrapped 3 times to get the tapered look of the gun. The muzzle break is 1/8″ of a medium kabob skewer. The half track took me about 3 days to get to this point. I suspect I will have a detailed version this weekend.
The total build time of the Tiger was about 3 hours. I think it took me about 1 hour to get the half track built to that point. Maybe another half hour for tracks and wheels.
EDIT Here is the half track with wheels and tracks. When I printed it out, I realized I forgot to duplicate the wheel. Fortunately, there was a spare from my sdkfz.231 sitting on the table.
This is my final prototype. I lowered the front edge of the front fenders a little. I am unhappy with the window texture. They are just to bright. I am thinking a glass texture with a brown tint would be better. Anyway, here are a few shots. Included in one of the shots is a Kubelwagen by “Rawen” for size comparison. It was a 1:100 scale model resized to 1:72 scale. It comes with a Tiger I as well. My son will be happy when I finally get that built.
You can get the final model in jpg on the “Old School” page on this blog.
Quick notes: Cut out all of the black areas and discard. The rear fenders make sure you do the black areas out first and then the outer edge. I found it easier to cut the rear fenders with a knife being careful to leave enough paper to hold the piece in place. Use 65-67 pound paper. Some of the lines are not meant to be cut! Print out at 85ppi for the correct scaling.
If you are new to card modeling, check out www.papermodelers.com. Wonderful site full of very helpful folks!
I made some changes to the fender assembly and added a small bumper. I eyeballed everything and luck was on my side. The fenders and bumper were perfect lengths.
I still need to draw interiors. I’ll also make a “roof down” option. Finally, I forgot to draw in the rear fenders. They don’t need to protrude as they are almost flush. But they are supposed to be there and noticeable.