I’ve been printing out ships on my 3D printer over the last couple of months and have even put brush to plastic! I based them on some artist matting board and painted in the sea foam. The masts had to be added to most of the ships. I used a bit of Plastruct plastic rod 1mm radius.
The ships were all 1:5000 scale but I enlarged them to 1:2400 scale (208%). The battleships road a little high so I dropped them below the print bed by 1.5mm. That is a common trick to shorted the height without actually knowing how to design a 3D model. The armored cruisers were designed too wide so I ended up narrowing the model by 20% (I think). I also shortend the model (Z-axis) because I did not know I could just lower the model below the print bed. This left the funnels too short. So I ended up replacing them with my own funnels with tiny bits of plastic rod.
The Fuji (2nd from the left) was also designed way too wide. In reality it was not any wider than the Mikasa (left). I narrowed it by 25% and it looked spot on. I am quite happy with the way these turned out. I’ve got some cruisers, destroyers and torpedo boats to paint and then it is on to the Russian navy. I already have 3 Russian ships for the action off Ulsan. They need primed and painted though.