I’ve finally started in on my new trees. After some thought I’ve come up with the following plan. Each tree will be mounted with it’s base on a 1.5″ disk. The disk is made of matting board. To make it easy to cut these disks out, I used a pair of heavy snips. Mine are tin snips but you could use heavy kitchen scissors as well…the ones that can cut through chicken bones. I am using a dollop of gorilla glue to hold the tree in place on the disk. This glue is notorious for expanding and leaving unsightly globs if you use too much. In my case, the disk will be topped with dry-wall joint compound so the mess will be covered up. You can give yourself a small head start by using brown or green matting board. Mine was light blue simply because that is what I had.
The disks took about 20 minutes to cut out and I had all 24 trees mounted in about 5 minutes.
Next time, I shall texture, paint and flock the base. The only thing I am concerned about now is warping. I think the matting board is think and dense enough to resist the wet compound but we shall see.